Last Friday, for the very first time, Bridger finally (this is looking like a toungue twister with "f's") FINALLY asked if he could hold Molly. I was sitting at this computer, probably looking at someone else's blog, and Molly was on the floor near me playing with toys. Bridger had been playing with his trains on the floor here too, and out of no where, he suddenly said, "Can I want to hold Molly?" (That's how he asks for everything..."Can I want to....") I was shocked! I gladly left the computer and helped him to get her on his lap. Unfortunately, she was grumpy and squirmy, so it didn't last long. (Looks like she's smiling here, but she's crying. )
He hasn't asked to hold her again yet. He's mostly uninterested. At least he doesn't seem jealous of her. Just ignores her. Though he has picked up on when she's sad, and then he says, "Molly needs her pacifier," and will sometimes try to give it to her. A few times he's tried to talk to her. A FEW times. Anyway, it was a red letter day when he wanted to hold her!
Then we had "picture taking therapy". Of course, I had to grab the camera to take his picture, in case it's the first and last holding her! Picture taking always pains him. I guess it pains a lot of people! But then he asked if he could take some pictures, and I let him. (He seemed surprisingly more "with it" that day.) Here's one he snapped of himself:
Usually when we try to take posed pictures, he will NOT smile and looks away. Family pictures are virtually impossible. We have LOTS of pictures with all our kids in a group, except him. Sometimes it seems like he's like a family pet: we enjoy and love him when he wants to be around, but if not, oh well. It's not worth fighting the dragon, though we always try. And then give up. Here's a picture he took that day. (Seems to actually be on of the better ones of me with Miss Molly.) Of course there were a lot of cute ones from his perspective too.

So in the last week, he has decided maybe it's not so bad to say "Cheese!" for the camera. Looks like maybe we've had a breakthrough! Yippee!
6 comments:
yeah!!! that's cool! I think the pic of you and Molly he took is cute!
That is soooo great!!! WHat a sweet moment to have captured on camera. Even if it was painful. ;)
I can't imagine how I would feel if my autistic child finally wanted to hold the baby. I bet you were fighting back tears. A breakthrough for sure!!!!!
*i'm glad you got a snap shot of that moment. *thats funny about the family pet! * thats a great picture of you and molly...you should have him take more pictures of you:)
Oh, Shauna! That is so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes. I hope you have many more breakthroughs in your family. If not, I love that you documented it--what a beautiful moment/memory.
You have such a sweet family, I love you guys!
K..that family pet thing made me smile!! What a sweet little guy (and girl) you have!! Ryder was like 8 months old by the time Ash asked to ever be NEAR him :)...the hard thing of taking over the youngest spot!! I'm glad that you had such a breakthrough day!
Post a Comment