Thursday, February 19, 2009

Discovering...

...A new kind of dance fun for Hanna.

Who once started out as a little clogger is now discovering another type of dance. Hanna started clogging when she was 4 with Alana and Aunt Georgia. She did clogging in Logan for 2 years, then in Amarillo the next 3 years. We tried getting Hanna in it again here. Joining, then quitting. Twice. It's just far more inconvenient to have to drive to Sunnyside or Tri Cities for class.

Unexpectedly, a new dance teacher in town started jazz classes this year. Before now, ballet was the only dance offered in Prosser. Alana wanted to try it, but Hanna wasn't interested. (I wouldn't be surprised if they both get back into clogging again in college though.) So along came Jazz class...We never thought our kids would get into that. We're usually biased against jazz dancing, since so much of it is inappropriate these days, but this teacher is keeping it fun and clean. Yahoo! And Hanna definitely likes the more upbeat rhythms of clogging and jazz. She loves getting to dance with her friends now, rather than be a lone ranger in class. Big bonus!

After only a few months, this is their first hurrah. Half time at a basketball game.





(I wanted to get the "Prosser" in there.)



Almost all of these girls are also from church. The little girl behind Hanna in the first picture -they were partners- has the same name we MIGHT name our new baby in May. Same first AND middle name! Though we might switch the order. In fact, we almost named Hanna "Eliza". (Funny how Hanna is a common name, yet she's been around more Eliza's than Hannah's.) I'm also very happy for the tallest girl, center back. She's one of Alana's favorite friends here, lives far away on a big farm, and has wanted to get in dancing for years. Now finally here's a group that's convenient for their family too!

Hanna's used to flat clompy feet in clogging, so pointing toes and dancing smooth is a new challenge for her. Only one other girl in her class has ever been in dance before. So these are ALL beginners. I know everyone in town has seen this already, but for grandparents' sakes, this is what they're having fun doing so far:



Thus we discover that even in a small town, we're continually surprised with what new and fun opportunities come our way.

3 comments:

SunnyD said...

I had so much fun watching these girls. They looked so great. And to think they only had like 5-6 practices working on the dance! NOT BAD AT ALL!!!! So proud of them.

Taryn said...

They are all so good, for beginners! I love watching Hanna, because she is always smiling! She always looks like she is have so much fun! I would love to see her clog!

Amanda said...

They all did such a super job. And Hanna has such talent. i also LoVE to watch her smile it is infectious. We just love your sweet family. I know McKayla has a special place in her heart for Alana. :o) I want Hanna and Alana to teach me how to clog too. I will ask them when i see them. I have always wanted to try it.