Wednesday, February 11, 2009

All the Better to See You With, PART 2

These are the real spectacles Seth just acquired. He's an avid reader, and started getting headaches around Christmas. The eye doctor checked, and said his vision is still fine, but these "Reading Glasses" will help relax his eyes, and hopefully prevent him (or at least postpone it) from getting near sighted.





The rest of this is probably boring for all of you, but for journaling purposes, I'll continue.

Alana also got glasses, this same time last year, mostly due to reading, but she really is a bit near-sighted in one eye, and far-sighted in the other eye. It's SO nice that even in rural Prosser, there is a good eye doctor and dentist we can see. We're usually in and out in 20 minutes or less! Unlike if we had to make it a half-day ordeal to see one in Tri-Cities. Hanna used to be far sighted in kindergarten. She had glasses, and it was corrected by 3rd grade. Far sightedness can be corrected if caught before the eyes are "set in stone" around age 8 we were told.

Despite me being totally blind in my left eye, Troy and I are both the children in our families with perfect eye sight. Everyone else has glasses, all 12 of them. My vision did noticeably change during 10th gr. swim season (I could tell things were more blurry), but apparently, I still have 20/20 vision. So I guess that means Troy has 20/10, and I once did too.

I know some of you are wondering, so--- My type of blindness is called "Morning Glory Syndrome", where the optic nerve is hollow where it attaches to the eye. It's barely attached. I can BARELY sense light in that eye, and that's all. I think that also explains why I don't get the "red-eye" from camera flashes in pictures, in that eye. It always reflects white. But the good eye still reflects red, and then I look like an alien! One white eye, one red. (So does that mean the retina isn't normal either? I don't know.) Oh well! It IS fun whenever I go to the eye doc. I get to be the guinea pig for any resident doctors/students in the building at the time, and it's usually the 1st time they've ever seen this rare condition.

4 comments:

Taryn said...

Very handsome 'real spectacles'. As for all of your family needing glasses except the two of you...what are the odds really! Crazy. and I totally didnt' know you were blind in the one eye. I just thought you had a little lazy eye. Not Blind! Very cool info. And I love that your blogging :) It's so fun to get to know people more and their daily lives! Your kids are pretty great! I love all the pics on the side.

lydia moyer said...

i knew you were blind in that eye but i didn't know why. i love that family picture in black and white...thats what a real family looks like!

Kari said...

Very cute Shauna. I love reading interesting facts about my friends!

SunnyD said...

He looks so handsome in them! Some people are just meant to wear glasses. He looks so good!