Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Waiting for the Return of the Ring

This picture looks like something out of Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars, or Narnia.  Since it was Easter morning, the title of this post would be more appropriately named something like "Awaiting the Return of the King."

My sister's family has this tradition of waking up to see the sunrise on Easter morning.  We decided to try it this year, though I was sooo tempted to skip it.  We're always up late the night before coloring Easter Eggs, and with Easter later this year than usual, the sun rose even earlier.  So basically, we woke up the same time I wake up every weekday morning to get kids ready for school, only this time, we drug MORE kids out of bed.  (I did skip Molly and Bridger and let them keep sleeping--in hopes they'd be better at church.)


 It actually turned out quite nice waking up that early.  We were all back inside just relaxing on the couches by about 6:00 am (the sun rose around 5:50 am), and had plenty of time to enjoy each other's company before getting ready for church.  I was a mean mom and made the kids wait to search for the Easter Eggs until Bridger woke up around 7:30.  Plus, the Easter Bunny was a tad bit lazier this year and only brought candy.  He used to bring other little things too...so some of the younger kids were a bit disappointed.  Oh well.  (At least they each got their own basket!  Finding things for 7 baskets of kids of all ages just didn't work out for the Easter bunny this year.)  They did get an all-you-can-eat breakfast of chocolate and candy though.  Isn't that every child's idea of heaven?  There have been 2 times in the past 5 years that we've only had one big basket for the whole family, rather than small individual baskets.  I like that better.  I think we'll do that more often.  I hope I'm not depriving my younger children...I think we'll wake up for the sunrise next Easter too.
 
 Happy Easter! 

2 comments:

Dedre said...

ohh that's a cute tradition. Cute family picture on easter morning...except you missing! next time you need to do the timer on the camera and jump in those pictures!

SunnyD said...

I'm with Deed...you gotta jump in the picture too!!! Such a sweet fam you have.