Saturday, May 9, 2009

Lovely Lilacs


I just LOOOVVEE the spring lilacs. We have some big bushes around our house, and many smaller ones too. If anyone ever wants any lilac starts, come get some! The last 1-2 springs, they froze and didn't hardly bloom. But this year, they've been spectacular. Can't you just smell them? Ahhhhh....If only they could last longer than 2 weeks! I guess that's what makes us appreciate them even more. Pictures just don't do them justice. The purple is so much prettier in real life. The flowering crabapple tree is beautiful too. Oh, and of course, the "aspen start" that's lurking around there...

I really wanted lilacs and tulips at my wedding, but alas, they just can't be counted on in Wyoming. Though I did grow up with some beautiful lilacs at my house, which is probably why I like them so much, they weren't in bloom during my wedding that particular May. (15 years ago this week.) The tulips had just been cut down around Temple Square, (past their prime), so the only flowers we had at the temple were the faithful little pansies.


"Whenever I touch a velvet rose,
Or walk by a lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world,
Heavenly Father created for me."

(from my favorite Primary song)

2 comments:

Taryn said...

ooohhh I am with you...i love lilac trees...I would love a couple starts..

Arlene said...

Brock has been saying for years that he really wants to plant some lilac tress. They are so beautiful!