Saturday, April 10, 2010

Herding Buffalo

For a couple years now, I always forget to take the camera with me, when we're pulling the garbage can down the driveway. Is it the noise that excites the buffalo? Maybe it sounds like thundering beasts running. A stampede! It works every time though. Usually we just walk the can down the LONG driveway. Sometimes, someone sits in the back of the van and pulls the garbage behind the van. (The first time, I tried dragging the can by holding onto it through the drivers window, while I drove, and that killed my arm! And it was even empty that time.)

On a side note, this was Alana's first time driving for real. (Only up our driveway though, I promise!) A bunch of my pictures got corrupted, so that's why this one's all weird. But it's still a keeper. Gotta remember this major-life-event after all!

I couldn't record and drive at the same time and get a good picture! (I guess I could have let Alana take the video instead.) So the first video try didn't turn out very good. I tried a couple weeks later again, and Aspen got a much better show of what usually happens in the video below.

We're pretty lucky to get to be so up close to buffalo everyday. (Except that first summer they kept getting into our yard, before their taller fence was built.) How many other people have buffalo for their nearest neighbors?

And by the way, this makes it look like I'm driving way too fast, for kids hanging out the back. I didn't realize it seemed that fast. Because I always drive super slow when we're doing this! Like less than 5 mph! It just looks faster, I promise!



Can you hear them grunting like pigs? Did you know those are the sounds buffalo make? Yep!

6 comments:

Tara said...

We used to drive our garbage can down our dirt drive too. The kids thought it was great because they could sit off the back with the door open, just like Seth was. I tried to drive it up once while driving and had to stop half way up and I walked the can and then walked back to the van and drove it the rest of the way! Those buffalo are crazy. That's hilarious that they freak out like they do.

Lori said...

We stopped in Evanston to let Jared see the buffalo at the State Rest Stop, but he wasn't too impressed because they just stood there and didn't make any noise. I'm sure he would go crazy watching those buffalo run and listening to them grunt (or is it oink?)!

Kristy said...

wow!

I don't think I could live next to a herd of buffalo.

With a production like that, there is no way your kids would forget to remind you to "take out the garbage" every week! (I admit, we forget once in a while)

Arlene said...

That's really funny pulling the garbage can like that. I think I would do that to since you have such a loooong driveway. I tried to get on your blog a couple weeks ago and it wouldn't let me on. Must be fixed now though. We let Bradley drive on occasion to to get some practice.

Taryn said...

wow.they really do chase you. smart thinking dragging that garbage can, you do have a long driveway.

Amanda said...

Shauna, that is HILARIOUS! And I love that you recorded it. Such fun memories!