Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bye Bye Baby

 
 After 669 days, she's conquered the crib.
 (The sheets are off b/c she's been having lots of bloody noses, so we've been doing more laundry.)

We did NOT see this coming.  All of a sudden Saturday-the day she turned 22 months--Molly climbed out of her crib.  Over and over.  (That was the same date as our first date 18 years ago too, March 19.)    It was a SHOCK the first time she climbed out, came downstairs and said, "Hi!"  WHAT???  I put her back over and over, and kept hearing the cute pitter-patter of her feet running across the floor to come back downstairs.  (I kept forgetting to close the door tight, since I always leave it cracked.  Makes it quieter to go in after she's asleep to put a blanket on her.)  Guess it's time to be taken down for her safety.  No more crib.  OH SAD DAY!!!
 I wonder how long it will take for her to learn that her "new" bed (mattress on the floor) means sleep time when we put her in it.  She did NOT like bedtime last night.  It was long and teary.  She and Hanna are so much alike!  They are our only 2 babies that figured out how to climb out of the crib.  And both right before they turned 2.  I hope Molly likes piles of books to fall asleep with, like the other kids did.

 Even Troy felt a little sentimental taking it down this time, for the last time.  Between all our moves and 6 babies, he's set it up (and taken it down) 12 times.  Yes, 12.  (It was the crib for all my siblings too--except me, so it's "raised" 10 babies in 33 years.)  Sometimes, Troy took it down just for a couple months,  for the simple fact of helping the current 2 yr old forget it was their bed, before the next baby arrived.  Maybe we'll pass it on to our first grandchild in several years, or maybe we'll keep it to have a crib at "Gramma's" house when they visit, but either way, this crib is a loyal member of our family.  Thank you Grandpa Harry for getting my Mom such a nice crib, that has lasted through so many babies!






8 comments:

Arlene said...

Oh my goodness. I can relate. It was sad last year to take the crib down for the last time. The crib is the only piece of baby furniture I kept for the same reasons you are keeping yours. To pass down or keep one at grandma's house. The picture of Molly asleep with her little pony tales is so cute. She looks like an angel.

Arlene said...

Oops. I meant ponytails.

Dedre said...

that would make me sentimental too. What a good sturdy crib. and a neat heirloom.

Dedre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dedre said...

that would make me sentimental too. What a good sturdy crib. and a neat heirloom.

Amanda said...

I can't believe how big she is!! what a cutie! Time flies when you're not there to watch them grow up!

snappy said...

I would love to get our two little ones together! They look so much alike. The length of hair and everything. Hallie likes to sleep in a big bed. I let her take a nap on her sister's bed the other day. She just laid down and went right to sleep, but she hasn't tried to climb out of her crib yet!

SunnyD said...

Those pix are precious!!! I would be sad too. I know babies are supposed to grow but still...