
So, what do YOU do to try and keep your children's attention for General Conference? We used to load up on those foamie-sticker things, and head to the Relief Society room where we wouldn't disturb too many others. Why is it okay for women to take crocheting there, but not for the men to take some wood to whittle on? Now that we finally have a good internet connection, we usually watch it most from home while folding laundry. It also provides me with one of the few times each year I go through the pile on my dresser top.
This time though: Pencil Sharpening! After nearly a year of just tossing random pencils/crayons/markers found around the house into one big box, we sorted them. I had hoped Aspen and Bridger would enjoy it, but it ended up being Seth and Daddy mostly, as Aspen came down with fever. Though she did help in the beginning. After the sorting, lots of sharpening. LOTS. The sharpener was suctioned onto the bed, which made for a nice little vibrater for the bed, as Molly snoozed on it. (Me too for a little part, whoops.) It took nearly 2 hours to sharpen all those pencils. Oh my. The big baggie is the colored pencils. You know, all those hardly-used ones that are school supplies each year, and of course, it's more fun to have a new box each year, multiplied by 4 children who need them. Combined with the other box of regular pencils, there must be hundreds.
I wonder if Seth was so intent on the sharpening, to start a new broken-pencil-leads collection. Hmmm.
3 comments:
What a great activitiy. As I was cleaning the junk pile on and around our computer desk a couple weeeks ago, I found baggies of crayons and pencil boxes of crayons, and crayon boxes full of crayons. I finally dumped them all into a plastic shoe box sized tote. It's completely full. We're like everyone else and must have new crayons at the begining of each school year. And we even have two shoe boxes of pens and pencils. What do you do with them all???!!!!! I think I should send some to school with Brock.
that's fun. I love to fold laundry while watching conference too :) I think it's great you keep those pencils. I am terrible, I just throw things in the garbage way to much :)
I love that we all are coming out of the closet with our "Sabbath Day" laundry habbits. Guilty as charged. :)
If you need any more pencils to sharpen...I have about 4 of those big bags....just ask Dedre and Lydia. HA!
Post a Comment